Saturday, August 6, 2011

Question about inheritance and probate?

My grandmother that raised me my entire life just passed away two months ago and things have been hectic ever since. One of my 4 uncles is the exectutor of her estate, and he is trying to do everything he can to get anything for nothing. My grandmother left me her house in her will, and her will was reviewed for wording by a probate lawyer last week. The lawyer told me that based upon the wording of the will that the executor of estate had no privledge to sell the house. I have already aquired all paperwork filed at the court house, and the lawyer looked over that as well and did not see anything that gave him permission to sell the house. The main question is, she has a car worth $5,000 that is paid off which was left to the exectutor in the will as well. He has mentioned keeping the car (not selling it), or selling it to an outside person for $2 until the probate process is over and then the individual reselling it back to him. He is trying to prevent me from getting the house by taking the car knowing that I cannot come up with the value of the car to close out the estate. Is it estimated that she has around $4,000 in debt including the attorney. What i'm saying is, and what whas explained to me by the lawyer..... real estate is the last thing in probate that can be sold, cars have to be sold before real estate. Can he do the $2 purchase of the car and pass on the $4,000 to me knowing that I cannot pay that? If he sold the car, the estate would actually be in the positive around $1,000 allowing the estate to close and me to acquire the house. The executor is also saying that he has paperwork saying that if the house is sold, the money is split between the four biological sons of my grandmother instead of me. This, however, was not filed at the courhouse. He is basically trying to get a car for free and get a cut out of what belongs to me while leaving me with nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment